Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, June 22, 2008

I do

You know those really annoying people who bring BABIES to weddings? Have you ever sat next to one of them? Aren't they completely and utterly irritating? Even when the baby is quiet, it's never real actual silence, because babies make noises just being alive . . . gurgling, burping, cooing. Many of these noises can even be pleasant, but are still,well, noise.

My worst fear came true yesterday and I had to bring the won't-drink-from-a-bottle-to-save-my-life baby with me to a wedding. The boys' granny was babysitting them, and I had dinner all planned and figured life would go on as scheduled without me there. They are more independent lately, and with Thing 2 potty trained that means no diapers to change. Basically you just help Thing 2 with his pjs (Thing 1 has been getting dressed on his own for months now, thank goodness) and they're off to sleep without a hitch. Thing 3 is just another story. She requires a lot more care and loving and prefers her milk straight from the tap. Demands it this way, actually.

So at the risk of actually missing the wedding, and after taking a poll among my friends who would be attending the wedding, we decided to bring the little bambino with us. We expected her to sleep through the ceremony (which was at 4:00) because she hadn't yet had her afternoon nap.

Not the case.

She was awake for the entire ceremony, and while she never once cried or was what I would constitute as *loud*, I still took her outside for most of the vows. The doors were open at the back so it was easy for us to stand almost out of sight (and earshot), still see most of the event, but be able to sneak out if things got out of hand. They never did, she was quite good and happy the entire time.

After the ceremony a cocktail hour was held, so I snuck to the ladies washroom (which was not air conditioned) to nurse Leah.

On a toilet seat.

In a gross little stall.

That was not for the handicapped, so it was incredibly tiny.

She drifted off to sleep and before I became too ecstatic about heading back to the wedding with a sleeping babe, I realized there was no way for me to slip my dress back on and tie it while holding Thing 3. I wore a halter dress thinking that it would be easy to feed her in . . . I think I missed the boat on that one. I had to practically undress completely to enable her access to the milk factory.

But we figured it out. She was pretty well behaved. No one seemed to mind that she was there. And for several short intervals she slept.

Five minutes on mommy.
(Notice my near-balding head from so much post-partum hair loss? I think I have 75 per cent fewer strands than I used to.)
A good seven or eight minutes on daddy.

And even crashed out on my friend C halfway through dinner. C insisted I eat my desert and have coffee sans baby. It was heaven. Thanks buddy!

So all in all not too shabby. It was a lovely ceremony, the groom (C) wrote and sang a beautiful song to his new wife N, and it was amazing. And the bride was stunning, she just looked gorgeous.

And while I love a great wedding as much as the next guy, PLEASE people, no more weddings until my Things are older!!!

18 comments:

Donna M said...

Doesn't she look lovely for the wedding!? What a doll!
Glad you were able to go and leave the boys with Granny. I assume she made out fine with them as you made no comments re them!

Anonymous said...

I would have been cooing over the baby's dress. Darling! Good thing I have two boys or I'd be broke. Now I can shop just for me.

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Oh glory... I've had to nurse in some pretty tough places, but a bathroom stall...ugg.

What a dress! I love clothing for baby girls at this age. It's all so sweet.She looked beautiful. And you don't look too shabby yourself! ;)

What a treat to eat without a baby on your lap. I know I appreciate eating at least a few bites without Eliza on my lap... though I do love to watch her watch me eat!

-Andrea

Phyllis said...

Glad it all worked out in the end. I'm looking at a similar scenario in early August -- either bring the babe with me or stay home from the wedding. You (and Thing 3) give me hope!

Jenny said...

You all look so wonderful! Love your dress...you do not look like you just had her 5 months ago!
Leah's dress is so precious.
The bathroom experience does not sound great...who wants to sit on a toliet, in a small bathroom and nurse?
Looks like you had a great time though.

amanda said...

oh friend - nursing in the stall?? oh you poor thing!! sooo sorry!! it's crazy what you will do for the love of your children isn't it??

btw - love. love. love her little dress!! kinda want beans to have one!!

Kristen said...

I have nursed in one too many stalls so I totally feel your pain!

Although, so glad to hear that you made to the wedding.

Can I just say you look BEYOND Fabulous! With loosing hair or not, you look great chica!!

Unknown said...

I have had thoroughly attached babies. No matter what, if they didn't go, we didn't go. It's harder on us than on other ppl though, it just isn't part of our culture to take babies anywhere.

OH my goodness. She is so yummy

and you look abso-smurf-ly marvelous!

Sue Wilkey said...

"we thought she'd sleep through the ceremony"...hahahahahahahahaha. Sorry. She is adorable,tho :)

Anti-Supermom said...

I've nursed in an aiport bathroom, is that the ultimate in grossy places.

I really like bringing my infant way over my four year old, he's way too loud, but if I had a choice I'd go to weddings sans baby!

Megan said...

you're looking good, mama! and, i lost some hair after #4- the first time it's ever happenned to me- it was awful!!! i looked ridiculous! you, however, look amazing! and i loved that dress your little lady had on- so sweet.

Megan

One Crazy Chick! said...

You guys are adorable, though.

I've avoided all wedding since my babies were born. All my kids like their milk straight from the tap.

And, don't you love friends who insist on holding the babe until you've finished your meal. I think those friends were sent from heaven.

Rebecca said...

How great that baby was so good during the wedding, both of you look beautiful as usual!!

I love both of your dresses...and I know all that hair will grow back soon woman!! :)

Melissa said...

well you look fab! And don't feel bad about breast feeing in the stall... been there, done that. And in dressing rooms, the car, and hidding in the back part of a zoo. I am not much for public breast feeding, so I try to hide a lot ;)

Kellan said...

Hi Shannon - thanks for coming by today. Hope you are having a good week so far. SEe you soon. Kellan

Jenny said...

Just wanted to say hi to my bloggy friend..thanks for visting us today. come to our little world we have something there for you!!

Heather @ thedomesticdiva.org said...

Awww her dress is so adorable. I am so glad she did so well at the wedding.

thedomesticdiva.org

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

You look fabulous! And I definitely don't see any balding going on! Thing 3 is such a little sweetie! LOVE her dress! Glad you were able to enjoy your dessert and coffee, what would we do without friends?!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs