Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The 3 Things Have a Day Out

A big day was had here in the land of Things 1,2 and 3. My friend J convinced me to meet she and some friends at a local beach (she had the day off work and was spending it with her son). After having mild anxiety for a day or two, I was persuaded (by my dear husband, my two sons and the original friend who extended the invitation) to suck it up and take my three kids to the beach. On my own.

So off we went this morning in our little van. Four happy campers. Listening to alternative rock. Driving into . . . very dark clouds and rain. Thankfully, as we headed further north the rain stopped so when we arrived at our destination it was completely dry. But still remained cloudy. And windy. And cold. Things 1 and 2 had shorts on and hoodies - I threw them on at the last minute and was glad I did. It was FREEZING cold out there. The boys were still cold though, and would often come to my side, shivering and looking a delicate shade of icy blue, begging, "mommy, could we go home please?".

Well, seriously, it wasn't that bad and we stayed a short time and mostly played in the park area with all the play structures. The boys had fun and Leah was warm and comfy in the world's best baby carrier - that's right, you remember, the Beco!!! That sturdy piece of fabric remains the *best* money I've spent in months (maybe since my Paige jeans in 2006???).

After an hour or so we were so cold we had to throw in the towel and call it a day. Because we were all cold I figured a cup of coffee would be a great way to warm up - but realized a coffee shop wasn't somewhere I could conceivably take my three Things. Coffee shops are places for intelligent, cheeky, well-dressed grown ups. Not toddlers and babies. J worked her magic and convinced me to join her at a trendy, fair-trade coffee shop in Westboro (where cool, liberal-minded, young people live in highly overpriced homes that we cannot afford) for a latte or something. And suddenly, I had that feeling again. That feeling I had the day I took the boys to see Kung Fu Panda, the same feeling that creeps up on me on the days I take all three things to the grocery store, or to Costco. The "I can't possibly make it out of this alive" feeling, deep in the pit of my stomach.

But a latte called. And I don't get them very often. And I really wanted one. So off we went.

Thing 3 sat nicely and happily in her car seat carrier, while her brothers sat in seats with J and A. I went up to the counter and got each boy a cookie and a glass of milk and myself a yummy coffee and a sticky bun. J soon picked Leah up and held her for me (after the wedding on Saturday I am falling more and more in love with these kind and gentle baby-holders). We sat and ate and drank, and for a short time all was right in the world. Until we went to the bathroom to change Leah's dipe and the first two Things started getting antsy. Then David didn't want to leave the washroom and started to . . . yell . . . a little bit. No worries, we were out of that shop faster than a helium balloon with a hole in it. We barely left a scar on the relaxed, trendy-person atmosphere inside.

J and I commented that the clothing shop next door to the coffee shop was one of our favourites. Really living on the edge, we stepped inside. We convinced Peter (4), A (3) and David (2) to all hold hands and stay together in the store. It went remarkably well for a short time. I then grabbed a couple fab items from the new Lole summer collection (my very favourite clothing line in the entire world, and Canadian at that) and even managed to purchase them before snatching the three munchkins just before things would have gone awry and bolted from the store.

It is then only 12:30 pm - haven't I accomplished a lot? Chatting with adults at the beach, coffee AND two clothing items (cute and adorable at that, although not necessarily totally on budget). More than I had ever hoped for in my wildest dreams. The boys were having such fun that J asked us to come over and play at her house for the afternoon. Feeling an extra hint of mommy craziness come over me, I said yes. It was fun and relaxing and the kids all had a blast playing in the sprinkler and checking out A's funky Playmobil biker set. We drove home and arrived at our humble abode just before supper.

Total success. Do the three Things have a pulse? Check! We all made it!

Well . . . almost. We put Leah in her exersaucer while we dined on spaghetti for supper and in less than five minutes we noticed she had dozed off on the little fabric book she was reading. Too pooped to party anymore . . .

17 comments:

The Mom Jen said...

Sweet pic of Leah!

Kristen said...

I am so glad to hear you had such a fabulous day!!

I am super impressed, and can't believe that you were able to pull all of that off! WOW! Super impressed I tell you!

Phyllis said...

YAY for a perfect day! (Yes, in my world, a day that only includes a *little* yelling from a child counts as perfect)

Donna M said...

What a sweet Leah picture. Glad to hear you had such a nice day!
So Leah will use the exersaucer whilst you here.

Megan said...

ok, that last picture was so cute. i'm so excited you found some things you really liked- that's the best! and a pretty good coffee experience too!!

Megan

amanda said...

ok must admit i skipped down to the picture first and literally it took my breath away!!

sweetest picture ever!!

ok now going back to actually read the post :)

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

You know, reading about days like yours is so encouraging! I have great times out with the three hooligans and other times... not so great.

I love that you had a fantastic time - times like that gives us moms such a lift. And can I just give a WHOO-HOO for new clothes? 'Cause I do love new clothes :)

-Andrea

Stephanie said...

Fun day indeed. So, Auntie Steph is heading off to Amsterdam next week and I'm quite certain that I will be bombarded with requests for pics of the family of the "the first born son of the first born son" ...any chance your photo assignment for this week could be to try to snap the elusive family photo?
hugs, steph

Jenny said...

Sounds like you had a great day out. It is always nice when it tuckers the little ones out.
I sometimes am afraid to go out knowing that I will have to get all of Will's stuff out and prepared. It is tiring!
Props to you for doing it.
I can't remember the last time I bought myself something..everytime I am out I see something for Will. When will it kick in that I should by something for myself? LOL.
Check out our bloggy world, we have something for you there.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love those dresses! I'm going to have to get the Opal dress.

I'm pooped just reading about your day.

dougnlarry said...

Good for you! It sounds like a successful day to me.

Tricia said...

good work! You did it! Not all days have to be kung fu panda days! YEAH! :) tk

Anti-Supermom said...

That sounds like such a dreamy day, minus baby falling asleep in exersaucer. Can you move a sleeping baby from those things?

I'm jealous

Miss Lisa said...

What a cute pic :)
I'm still floored by the whole 'freezing' thing; I don't think it's been below 95 for the past month here.
I'd love to be freezing ;)

tiarastantrums said...

OMG - that is the cutest pic ever!!

Carol said...

Wow that is an action packed day.

And you all survived.

Bonus!

You must have felt terrific when all your little ones were snoozing in bed that night.

McMommy said...

Hooray!!! YOU SURVIVED!!

One of my friends had a similar successful outing with kids one day. She told me as she was buckling them into their carseats, she had the Dora song in her head "We did it! Lo hacimos! We did it!"

a perfect pow!! You give me inspiration!!!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs