Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Weekend Recap

It is absolutely frigid here in Ottawa, Canada, as of late. We've got blue fingers and toes (and nose) and our breath seems to freeze as we step outside. Thus, we had another fairly lazy weekend inside, and - for the most part - no one really minded. It was too cold to ski, to skate, and to go tobogganing so we made our own fun inside the comfort - and delicious warmth - of our little home.

I have started a new tradition with the kids, in which I have a special "date" with each one of them for several hours. This allows me to have one-on-one personal time alone with each Thing, so that I can enjoy their special characteristics and personalities and revel in each feature that makes them unique. This weekend I had my date with Thing 1 and it was absolutely fantastic. We had a blast. We went to the mall (his choice), went out for lunch, did errands, and chatted and laughed. It was so simple and yet so utterly special for both of us. Thing 1 has become such a mature, sensitive, witty, creative little man that I can hardly believe he is only four years old (well, turning five in a few weeks). Spending part of my Saturday alone with my oldest son completely made my whole weekend.

Needless to say, Thing 2 was not overly impressed when I ducked out of the house with his brother for four hours. I explained to him that next weekend would be his special "date" with mommy, and that he would be able to choose whatever activity he wanted.

I don't think he missed me that much because he and daddy got creative with the Playmobil toys while we were out.

Exhibit One. Thing 2's police station and police crew.

(Yes, actually all lined up by him!!)

It still remains increasingly difficult to capture decent shots of all three Things together. We did manage to get these two today . . . Thing 3 wagging her finger at her brother

. . . and all three Things nestled on the little IKEA chair.

Not oozing with syrup-y cuteness or anything, but it's all you're gonna get on this cold winter weekend!!

20 comments:

dougnlarry said...

We spent all weekend inside here too. None of us set food outside the entire time. It's so cold here lately, I'm going CRAZY!

Your date sounds great. I'm glad you and Pete had a good time. :)

Anonymous said...

I love getting one on one time with my kids! I am so much more relaxed and able to enjoy them and their little quirks.

I can't imagine why I ever thought having one kid was hard.

Jen said...

Having one on one dates with my kids is one of my New Year's resolutions (that I still need to post on my blog-hopefully before the end of January). Sounds like a nice weekend!

Donna M said...

What a great idea to have a special time with each of the little ones! Glad to hear it went so well. I can't wait to see what D comes up with for his "date"!

Lara said...

I've always thought it would be great to have date times with your kids - I can't wait to have the energy to get off the couch and start doing stuff again ;)
It's definitely too cold out there to do anything other than run through it to the car to get somewhere else indoors :)

Anti-Supermom said...

What a smart idea (and taking on one child is way easier than 3, isn't it).

It sounds like a blissful date :)

tiarastantrums said...

ADORABLE boys!! and it is dang cold here too - my bones just sort of shrink!!

amanda said...

i love warm lazy wintry weekends :)

we had one too!!

Landerson said...

Ok, so has David inherited a little of the OCD too? Oh, and if it's any consolation it's freakin' freezing here too....BLAH!

Unknown said...

OH we have that EXACT same chair! HA!

I totally need to do a "date" with my oldest. He would so appreciate that! Thanks for the idea! : )

Honey Mommy said...

I have a hard time getting pictures of two boys... I can't even imagine trying with three!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea to have a date with each kid. I think I will totally do that with mine from now on.
How sweet to see the meticulous order of Thing 2's police crew. Aww.

Good job getting them all in one photo!
Ciao!
Minna

Unknown said...

They are ADORABLE!

Seriously they are the cutest cold weather cuddlers :)

Unknown said...

Just popped back in to let you know I tagged you for a fun little meme! : )

OHmommy said...

One on one time is the best.

I am so over this winter. It has been soooo cold.

Don Mills Diva said...

LOve that picture of all of them togethr - too cute!

I have been sooo over this winter for about a month!

Aly @ Lip Zip said...

Those Playmobil toys look great. I want some of those...I mean, I'll bet my son wants some of those!

Stay warm!

Carol said...

Yay for quality time with each thing. Priceless.

I have failed repeatedly to get a picture of 2 kids together that is decent let alone trying with 3 wriggly littles.

Carol said...

Yay for quality time with each thing. Priceless.

I have failed repeatedly to get a picture of 2 kids together that is decent let alone trying with 3 wriggly littles.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you are thawing Miss Crafty Mom, if even just a little bit!

That last picture of those three Things is just incredible...they are beyond precious. Honestly!

Have an excellent Sunday!
tp

PS: You are you are tagged in tomorrow's (Sunday's) post. I know, it's lame to do it this way, but we are out of town visiting The Big City and don't want to forget!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs