Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, February 09, 2009

One step forward, two steps back

It's Tuesday evening. And with the monotonous blur that this tenth day of February seems to elicit, it seems like an appropriate time to extend my apologies for the barren-like quality of my blog lately.

Things in blog-land - along with my creative juices - came to a screeching halt a couple weeks ago as our family came head to head with a number of unexpected and less-than-desirable struggles.

As we dug our heels in and conquered colds with cough, a repulsive and vile stomach flu, a garage door stricken with the inability to close in sub-zero temperatures, some problematic yet perplexing behavioural issues in Thing 1 and Thing 2, and a completely and utterly unexpected lay-off from Paul's employer, documenting and exploring my life online was rendered futile.

A dizzying mix of panic and despair settled into my heart and our life circumstances, coupled with Ottawa's seemingly ridiculous winter weather, managed to put a real damper on my spirit.

After several days of not feeling that typical "let's tackle this head on" attitude that I usually embrace when I am thrust into crisis mode, I decided whole heartedly that it was time to reach across my bedside table and grab my very worn and very loved copy of The Secret. I haven't read it in ages, yet I somehow find solace and comfort in simply knowing it lies there beside me at night, as if its proximity would perhaps protect me and simultaneously remind me that I can truly have, be, and do anything I want in life.

And, so, together as a team our family of Things moves forward, comforted by the faith that the universe and God have a plan in store for us. And warmed by the fact that we are blessed and that we have the most important thing . . . we have each other.

And, really, who wouldn't feel properly equipped to learn the true magnificence that awaits her in life in this cute matching hat and scarf set knit by her dear mother?


7 comments:

dougnlarry said...

Oh Shannon. I've been so worried about you lately since you haven't been posting anywhere. I'm so sorry that Paul got layed off. I am sure something else is out there for him.

Big hugs to you!

Jen said...

First of all, I'm so sorry about all the crappy stuff going on. Especially the lay-off.

I'm a total believer in the Secret! Definitely keep reading and thinking positive. Your luck will turn around before you know it and this misfortune may actually end up being a really good thing in the end.

I'm thinking good thoughts for your family. :)

amanda said...

oh friend - so sorry to hear the news. but you are sooo very right. there is a plan and until then you snuggle right in and enjoy all the extra hubby time :)

thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

Big hugs! Just as you said, I believe God has a plan for us but sometimes not knowing what it is gets so tough. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Oh Miss Shannon, what a wonderful post this is, in spite of the news about Paul. You so perfectly articulate things, especially those of the heart and of the spirit, you amaze me!

Please know how many of us are thinking of you and sending good thoughts, prayers and lots of hugs,
tp

Mom24 said...

Great hat and scarf! I hope you find your true magnificence! I'm not sure it could be any better than what you've found with your 3 Things though.

I completely sympathize with the screeching halt. When things are truly overwhelming, that's exactly how it hits me. I hope your husband finds a good job soon.

Laural Out Loud said...

I'm so sorry about your husband being laid off! I was laid off about a month ago, and the feeling is surreal! It took me a few days, but once I started to look at the situation is as positive a light as I could, blessings started pouring down. Even though it's stressful, I hope you all enjoy this time you have together! And I hope he finds something else soon.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs