Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, January 22, 2009

It Ain't a Birthday Without Cake

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek



Since tonight was my little girl's first birthday, and daddy deemed it of crucial importance not to miss a night of curling and thus would not be present for the first birthday of his only daughter, his very last child, the absolute light of his life . . .

Well. Ok. You get it.

(Some of you Americans not know what curling is? Let's see. I call it a game. He calls it a sport. I call it shuffleboard on ice. He calls it an Olympic sport. OK, well he's got a point there because it is indeed an Olympic event - and one that Canada dominates - but it will still be a cold, crisp, "perfect-for-curling" day in HE$# before I utter any words that liken it to a sport.)

This being said, I especially wanted to make sure my sweet little Thing 3 got something on her actual birth date. So I made a home-made pizza and picked up some cupcakes at our local Cake Shop in order that I might be able to snap that "every mother needs to have it" perfect shot of the baby with cake on her face.

We're having friends for dinner tomorrow evening and I'm making an Angel Food cake for her real birthday cake.

But tonight, while daddy beat the ice with a broom, the birthday girls Thing 3 and Granny had their cake. And ate it, too.



Check out more Photostory Friday at MamaGeek's and Cecily's places.

21 comments:

Chris said...

I've always wanted to try curling -- since we had the Olympic Games here in 2002 (before that I'd never heard of it) -- but not on my daughter's birthday. I would have come home to find the locks on the house changed.

I love shots of kids on their first birthday's with their cake. So messy!

Donna M said...

Do you think she liked her birthday cake? Do you think she cares if it isn't the real one? I see one happy baby girl in those pics!

Kristen said...

I totally know of curling!! Remember my best friend is Canadian!!

Happy Happy Birthday to your sweet little Thing 3! I can't believe she is one already, but the pics of her are beyond cute my friend!

What a great mama you are to make sure that her day was the most perfect ever!!

tiarastantrums said...

super cut e- she sure looks like she likes it!

Megan said...

ok, i admit it, right as i read curling, i at first thought of hair, then i corrected myself to think of it as a canadian thing, then you went and explained it and i just want to say- you're right. americans know squat about curling.

Megan

tammi said...

And what a great facecake shot it is!!! Love it!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, I love the cake face...first birthdays are the best!

Happy Birthday, thing 3.

Anonymous said...

You will laugh when hearing that The Consort is a fiend for curling. Totally. Fortunately we get the CBC where we live so he'll watch it there and when the Winter Olympics roll around, look out.

For years we watched the teams at the figure skating club we belonged to. It strikes us as being a bit like golf - extraordinary patience is required.

Love the little one with her cake!
tp

CC said...

Awwwww! Happy birthday little cutie!!!!!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Now THAT's a milestone, I'd say she did REAL GOOD - hardly any mess at all! Happy 1, now bring on the fun!

Unknown said...

Oh we totally know what Curling is. My BIL atually plays (yes, in TEXAS!) That's how he met his girlfriend who's from Canada! : )

Looks like she thoroughly enjoyed that cupcake. But then who wouldn't? Happy Birthday, she's so cute!

dougnlarry said...

I can't believe he couldn't skip curling on her first birthday. Wow. Love the pics of her eating the cupcake. :)

Valerie said...

Men! They have their priorities all screwd up. She is so cute and love the pics.

Jenn said...

So cute Shan! I can't believe how much she looks like Thing 2!!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

And she did a great job of getting it all over her face!
I play curling...... right on my Wii!

Landerson said...

Mmmmmmm, the cupcakes look great. And she is clearly loving it:)

amanda said...

she totally ate her cake friend!! look at her!! sooo sweet :)

ps - i think you are a WONDERFUL wife for letting the hubby go curling on such a big day. seriously points to you!

Just the Four of Us said...

Oh, Thing 3 is SO CUTE. I love the red icing! What a little sweetheart--I can't believe she's 1 already either.

Unknown said...

First birthday's are THE BEST! Looks like you got that cake in the face shot. :) Happy Birthday!

Curling is extremely popular up here, but I had never heard of it before we moved here and it doesn't really look like much fun to me. But I'm not very sporty either. :)

Anti-Supermom said...

I'm not going to get all mushy, but your last first birthday. Awwww...

And she is adorable,

as always.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Thing 3! Wonderful pics!
As a representative from the world's second best curling country - I agree, it's not a sport, it's cleaning the ice with a broom. I might as well call mopping my kitchen floor a sport. :D
Ciao!
Minna

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs