Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, May 28, 2009

30 Days and Counting Shred

I've had a few inquiries from readers as to whether or not I have had any success with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I mentioned back in April that I was committed to giving it a try and sticking with the program. And, remarkably, I did.

Kind of.In all honesty, I didn't follow the program for 30 consecutive days. Due to several pretty nasty illnesses in the past two months, I had to stop over the course of a couple weeks. But when I was well, I worked out every day. I found it a bit monotonous to do the Shred workout every day, so I typically did 3-4 days of the DVD followed by a day of running. I am still doing it, as I don't feel like I am "finished" yet so my plan is to continue on doing it 3-4 times a week for at least another couple months.

Yes, the workout is fairly intense.

The first day I did it I was sore beyond any pain I could imagine . . . I could barely muster up the strength to haul my Lulu's up over my ankles and slap on my running shoes on the second day, but somehow I powered through it and did it. After a week, I was not finding Level 1 leaving me feeling like I was a 95 year old geriatric who had just run a marathon in 45 degree (Celsius) heat with a 250 pound barrel strapped to her back anymore. Levels 2 and 3 are certainly jam-packed with energy-zapping and muscle-burning lunges, squats and push ups (don't even think about wimping out and resorting to doing the push ups from your knees, because Jillian will yell at you) and I still cringe when I hear the terms "plank" or "pike", but what can I say . . . the results are pretty amazing and they speak for themselves.

I can't seem to find a "before" shot, but here is a pretty good "after" photo.


All right, all right.

So Jillian is a teeny tiny bit smaller than me *and* phenomenally fit - but I still experienced some pretty decent results with this DVD. My original goal was to be "firmer" by the time I was to attend an out-of-town wedding next weekend (June 6), and I am comfortable I will feel pretty good in whatever I decide to wear. I haven't lost a pound, but that wasn't primarily my goal as my long-term love affair with food and cooking basically precludes that from ever happening.

13 comments:

BeachMama said...

Awesome. Congrats for sticking with it. And can I say that you looked pretty firm when we had coffee. Glad to find someone who liked it and stuck with it. So far everyone else I know only made it a week. Can I ask how long the workouts are?

Chantal said...

maybe I will try this out as a post preggy work out this spring. No Shredding for me for the next little while.

Thanks for the well wishes, those shirts are adorable eh. I saw them at the universal store in Florida when i was on holiday and when I spotted the onesie I just couldn't resist.

the Preppy Princess said...

Good heavens Miss Crafty Mom, you are so amazing to stick with it, *especially* knowing how ill you were!

Sadly, this is also another nail in the "We are simply going to have to do this at least once" coffin.

Smiles to you!
tp

Loukia said...

Wow! You are making me scared, Shannon! I'm happy I won the DVD from Amy, but I'm scared to begin it. Can I do it from my family room? With the kids around? I wonder if I'll stick with it. I hope so! I so need to firm up and get in shape! And if it made YOU sore - somoeone who is already so fit - then I'm shaking just thinking about what it will do to ME! Yikes! But I'm excited!

Capital Mom said...

Good for you! I will have to look at your old posts for inspiration. I could use some "firming".

amanda said...

look at you friend!! whooo hooo :)

so glad you have found something that works for you...needless to say i am still looking!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Half the battle is finding a plan that WORKS, kudos to you I say!!

dougnlarry said...

I've heard this works well. I'm glad to hear you liked it too. I think I need to look into it...

Amy said...

"..my long-term love affair with food and cooking basically precludes that from ever happening."

Oooh, you're speaking my language! As afraid as I am of the Shred, I'm also afraid that doing it WILL MAKE ME EAT MORE cause I'll be able to justify it!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Maybe I will give this a shot- I could sure use some firming, espcially since I have the same issue as you with cooking/food.

OHmommy said...

so many people have been talking about this program. i was going to purchase it but seriously doubt I could do it 30 days in a row.

Anti-Supermom said...

Darn, I can't see the picture. I'll have to come back.

But anywho... you are awesome for sticking with it continuously. How is the running going - did you do the 10K? Let me know, I'd love to hear.

My second 5K was slower than my first, but it was 31 degrees F. Way too cold for my weak, little muscles.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Girl! I was going to say you looked a little too skinny in that last shot so glad to hear that isn't actually you ;)

Glad you stuck to it, it sounds really good! If I ever stop workign with my trainer, I am going to do that instead:)

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs