Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, April 20, 2009

Maybe Karma is a Bitch

O.K. universe.

I GET IT.

This is where the story starts.

One Saturday evening in late January, Paul and I went out to dinner with our friends Jenny and Denis. We had a fabulous time, dined at an amazing restaurant, drank great wine, and engaged in sparkling conversation. We laughed. We gossiped. We spoke of the economy and the state of jobs in Ottawa. They asked Paul if he felt his job was secure. We both agreed that we felt it was, given information we had and recent happenings at the company.

On that very same night Jenny and Denis also mentioned their Christmas vacation, and highlighted a nasty stomach bug that they and their family had contracted while out of town visiting relatives. I nodded sympathetically . . . having dealt with the stomach flu on more than numerous occasions in my own household I could relate and understand how unfortunate this would have been . . . and explained that we were so fortunate not to have had such a pesky virus since last summer. We left our good friends on that cold, blustery winter evening and went about our lives.

In less than a week, Paul lost his job and the FIVE of us contracted a nasty, grueling stomach virus.

You'd think I'd learned my lesson.

In the month that followed we dealt with the fallout from five of us being sick with the stomach bug, and then moved on to develop several horrible colds, chest coughs, and Thing 3 even managed to come down with pneumonia and get rushed to the hospital. By mid-March, however, things were looking up and we were all on the mend. It was around that time that my mother, who was vacationing in Florida, called me one evening over the school break to "check in" and see how we were all doing.

"Are any of you sick?" she asked. Because that is a question you pose to all mothers of small, germ-infested children in the winter. Praying that the answer is not "yes".

"NO. NO. NO. We are all doing well, we are healthy and happy and our winter blahs and illnesses are a thing of the past," I proudly proclaimed.

In less than six hours from that phone conversation, Thing 1 woke up in the middle of the night - sick as a dog - and proceeded to spend the next twelve hours vomiting non-stop. Yes, speaking of us being well had seemingly brought the curse of the flu back upon us. Thankfully it was over in about 48 hours, and the rest of us escaped relatively unscathed.

Fast forward to exactly 28 days later. I was at a craft night with some friends on Friday and the discussion evolved into stories of sick children (what a freaking exciting life I lead). The hostess mentioned that her son had the stomach flu, and that she had cleaned everything carefully so that no germs would be left on any surfaces around her home. I laughed, delving into my story of woe and how we'd already been SO sick this winter that it was virtually impossible for us to get sick again.

WRONG.

Thirty days - almost to the hour - from the last time Thing 1 was sick, he woke up in the middle of the night with another stomach bug. Yes, the dreaded "moooooommmmmmyyyy, my stomach hurts" to which I respond by hurdling out of bed like an Olympic athlete so that I might make it to him in time before a big mess ensues. And here we are at close to almost 24 hours of diarrhea and vomiting. Add to this the fact that Thing 2 woke up with a horrible cold and Thing 3 was a teething, screaming banshee today, and you may begin to realize that this is one mama who is close to losing her mind.

Universe : 100
Crafty Mom : -25

18 comments:

Mom24 said...

I am so incredibly sorry. Last winter we were sick for months, it just went on and on. I honestly felt like I was going to lose my mind, so I completely understand.

Good luck and take care.

Loukia said...

Oh Shannon! Blah, I'm so sorry! But know that you are not alone - every time I so much as whispter "The boys have not been sick in a while..." BAM they WILL get sick the very next day! WHAT is that all about?! I now don't even think the thought, because it scares me, how it always works that way. I hope all your Things recover quickly!

Anonymous said...

Oh no Shannon, this sounds awful! For all of you! I hope you are able to get some rest for yourself!

Sending a hug,
tp

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Ugh, you have had your share of it, this has to be the last time. It has to be!

I once had it three times in about 5 months too...I was so sick of puking I would have given my left arm just to have a horrid sinus cold.

Hope tomorrow is better!

Unknown said...

Oh, no!! Why does this always happen?! Why?

Leo did the same thing to us--the whole, wow, Bella hasn't been sick for awhile--and I thought about it but NEVER said it aloud.

Guess Karma heard Leo, though, bc we've all been battling some cough/congetstion/runny nose thing for a week.

Big (((hugs))) and I am so so so sorry that everyone is sick, throwing up and teething :(

Maybe now Karma will leave your sweet family alone?

Cynthia said...

Seems we have had a sick house this whole season:( I hope everyone starts feeling better...so not fun:P

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. I hope that karma moves on to find someone else to torment, and soon.

Anonymous said...

Well, it is good to see you still have a sense of humor about the whole thing. And summer will be here soon!

Chantal said...

Oh dear, that is nasty. We had a two month period like that recently. My hubby and I had to take so much time off it was almost comical. Almost, except that he had just started a new job and his work didn't appreciate him taking the time off. And that left me. It was a stressful time. I won't even jinx myself by thinking it is over. :)

dougnlarry said...

I'm so sorry. Stomach bugs are the worst. I hope P is better soon and the rest of you don't get it.

Amy said...

Ugh, that sounds ROTTEN. Praying for a quick recover for Thing 1 and that you and your other little Things get/stay health for a loooooong while.

Donna M said...

Really Shan, with all your bugs, teething etc., you and your family have nowhere to go but up!!
" The sun will come out tomorrow!"

Landerson said...

The flu sucks, but you WILL get rid of it.

CC said...

Awww! Hugs!!!!

Noble Savage said...

Sorry to hear that, I know the feeling. Here's hoping everyone is feeling better soon and the bug stays gone!

BeachMama said...

Oh Man, that just sucks. I hope things are picking up for you. I think you just shouldn't talk about being sick again ;).

We didn't get sick until I realized that we hadn't been sick either. Thankfully J has stayed strong, oops I shouldn't even type that!!

Unknown said...

I'm no expert but I'm thinking maybe you should just stay out of those conversations! ; ) Hope it WILL be over soon. For good.

Anti-Supermom said...

Shannon, so but I'm kind of giggling over here. You know that is a big Mommy rule don't you. Never ever talk about being sick unless (or not) you want it to happen.

I love that you used the 'B' word, I was wow- she's out of her box.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs