Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sick Baby, Round Three

As I gently pushed the bedroom door ajar and slid into Thing 3's bedroom to check on her for the umpteenth million time yesterday afternoon, she finally peeked her fuzzy little disheveled head over her crib rails. I'd had a bad feeling all afternoon, as my little sick baby napped for over five hours for the fifth day in a row. That kind of "this can't be good at all" feeling that a mother occasionally gets when things are, indeed, not good at all.

I gently laid her poor, limp body on her change table only to open her diaper and find a dirty little surprise had made it's appearance during her marathon sleep session. It was nasty enough for me to scoop her up and take her to the bathroom for a nice, warm bath.

Mommy-worry struck me like a slap in the face.

She looked awful. Lethargic, listless, and completely "out-of-it". I prayed the bath would rejuvenate my little girl and bring some zest back to those piercing blue eyes.

Not the case.

Her fussiness increased after her bath and even after I nursed her she proved to be agitated and unhappy. As supper time was approaching, I placed her in her high chair to give her a snack while I put together the final preparations for our dinner. She instantly fell asleep. Mommy-worry plagued me once again as the sense that "none of this seems right" began to overwhelm me. My thought processes were clouded. Realizing I hadn't taken her temperature since before her nap, I ran to grab our thermometer and bring it back to the kitchen.

The first reading was 41.6 degrees Celsius. Not a metric lover? That's 106.8 degrees Fahrenheit!! Several more readings showed marginally lower temps than that, although each them ranked in the very dangerous category. I called my mother-in-law (who was a nurse for years and years and also a midwife) and she arrived on our doorstep in minutes. Her diagnoses was not good, and for the second time in four days, I bundled up my precious little girl and hauled her to the hospital.

The silver lining?

When your kid is that sick, you don't have to wait in the waiting room in Emergency. The kind and compassionate triage nurse will make a call and you will hear "Level Two baby at Triage" over the loudspeaker and soon two nurses will come and whisk you and the child away. We were instantly sent to an observation area where we had our own bed and several nurses and doctors working on us.

I am included in the "us" part of this because it is the mother's responsibility to pin the baby down so that the nurses can carry out some of the more unpleasant medical procedures. It is also up to mommy to administer all doses of medication and to hold the mask to the child's mouth when she is receiving oxygen and breathing treatments.

After several hours of observation, breathing treatments, and successfully reducing Thing 3's fever, we were permitted to go home for the night. Exhausted. Mentally and physically depleted. With no more energy than a tiny, squished up ant on hot, sizzling pavement.

Her diagnosis was pneumonia or bronchitis - her doctor said it was hard to tell from her x-ray and they didn't want to run any more tests on her (the x-ray they looked at was the one she had taken when I took her in on Sunday night). We were able to keep her fever down today, and overall she is brighter, more alert, and coming close to resembling her perfectly regular little self.


PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

27 comments:

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I just want to hug you both! My heart hurts so much for your precious girl. And how completely wiped out you must be.

You all deserve a break!!!

You all will be in my thoughts and prayers. May tomorrow be a much healthier, normal day.

Kiss that sweet baby girl head for me.

-Andrea

Supercool Hotmama said...

I'm glad your sweet girl is doing better. Sooo scary to have a sick baby.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that Thing 3 is sick. There is nothing scarier than sick babies. At least when they are older they can tell you things. I hope you had a good night and what ever medication they gave her will work magic immediately. Before you know it, she'll be running all over again!

Now to keep her brothers from getting it too is the goal I am sure! I remember my 3 things always shared.....shared illnesses that is!!

Mom24 said...

I hope she's all back to normal soon. My youngest ran high fevers for a week every month of her life for the first two years--no explanation or diagnosis ever found.

Loukia said...

What a horrible experience, Shannon. I'm glad you took her back to CHEO. They are the best there, the care a sick child receives is amazing. It's hard to go through, as a parent, though. I am glad she is feeling better today. Keep monitoring her. That is a scary high fever. Whenever I see anything above 39, I panic and it usually means a trip to CHEO for us, too. (With reason, as my son had pneumonia that required surgery, as you know, and when he was 3 and 6 months old, he was hospitalized for a 2 weeks and 4 days each time (3 months and 6 months) for a UTI... IV's etc..) so yeah, as a mommy we know when to panic... good luck getting through this! At least you are home and you received the best care possible. Thinking of you!

tiarastantrums said...

oh I'm so sorry to hear this - I hate that freaky feeling you(mom) gets when we "know" something is just not right!

Anonymous said...

What an insanely difficult experience for both of you, not to mention your other little Things, as they surely pick up on the vibes as well....we are sending you our prayers, good thoughts and big hugs.
tp

Emily said...

Awe, poor little thing! That is so scary when they are so sick like that. I hope she's on the mend! Thanks for visiting my blog earlier!

Landerson said...

Hope poor Leah's on the road to recovery. We're thinking of you guys:)
XO

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh I'm so glad things are on the up and up. Poor baby and poor mama too!

dougnlarry said...

How scary. I hope that was the last trip to the ER for a while. Poor Leah.

amanda said...

oh friend my heart breaks for you both - truly there is nothing worse than a sick baby :(

here's hoping that you are both back to your old selves before too long!

healthy wishes coming your way!!

Michelle said...

Your post gave me the chills. The minute I read her temp my first thought was pneumonia. I've been there with my youngest so I know how scary it is.

Hugs!!

Pam Emmons said...

Poor baby. All three of my kids have been this sick once or twice,. It's so scary. Yo just want the world to stop so that your baby gets all the attention. Glad she is getting better!

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

That is so frightening!! Your poor baby and poor you! I hope she is on the mend now. *hugs*

Donna M said...

I am so pleased to see the pic of Leah looking like our dear little thing again! Hope she keeps on feeling better every day!
Take care of her and yourself! Talk to you soon!

Chris said...

Ohhhh sick babies, that is one of the most exhausting things I've ever dealt with.

I hope everyone is on the mend.

Cute shot, by the way -- I love those rosy cheeks.

Unknown said...

Oh Shannon, I'm so sorry she's been so sick lately! I hope you'll see an end to this soon, for everyone's sake. Praying for her wellness!

I do love those pink cheeks though... : )

OHmommy said...

Oh, poor mommy and girl. I hope #3 feels better soon. that is no fun!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, poor Thing 3. I sure hope she gets to feeling better ASAP!

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Oh that was frightful! How well I remember things like this from days gone by. With the youngest now 10, I enjoy fewer sick-surprises. I'll be praying for little miss 3 (and you).

Shan said...

Oh my that is so scary. I'm so glad to hear she's feeling a bit better.

imbeingheldhostage said...

Frightening!! When you're at Thing 3 and something doesn't feel right, you know to listen, don't you. Thank goodness she's on the mend!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Holy Cow! That is scary! Glad that she is getting better and starting to act more normal!

Anonymous said...

you posted this last week, so i hope all is better now!

Unknown said...

I always hated when the kids were sick and she sounded sick. Poor baby! I am hoping she's much improved now!

Holly said...

Poor baby! What a high fever! I know that's scary because we've taken our son to the ER for fever too. Hope she feels better!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs