Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 11, 2008

I would live here if I could

Since becoming more passionate about the environment in the last ten years or so, I have always held the dream of one day building a completely green and environmental home.

I know they exist, solar panels are hardly new and are more common today than they were, say, twenty years ago.

Well, what a complete and utter surprise to me when I sat down to watch the news last night only to see that THE GREEN home is in my hometown. Wow. I became all giddy and excited.

I give you, the Inspiration EcoHome:



I was intrigued because the designer of the home was being interviewed on our local news channel, and he called it "the GREENEST home in North America". I did a double take because that's a fairly powerful statement to make, and he appeared to have no factual data to back it up. On the Minto website they claim it is one of the "greenest homes in Canada", which sort of sits better with me.

The cost to build a house like this clearly comes with a phenomenal price tag. BUT. And this a large, upper-case, BUT . . . once living in the home you actually MAKE money on the energy the house creates, instead of having to pay out funds to bills to provide energy for the home.

The house boasts all-off green switches and plugs, energy efficient lighting, double wall construction, triple pane windows, natural gas stove and dryer, natural ventilation requiring no A/C, built in recycling centre, and a rainwater collector . . . just to name a few of its environmental features. Are you drooling like me yet?

It looks amazing, and even better, they host tours on the weekends. I think it's time I picked up my newly-well fam and headed out to Manotick to catch a glimpse of "one of the greenest" homes in our nation!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to live in a green home. My friends use thermal energy for their heat/hot water and even though the initial investment was much larger when they built, they are really saving now that are utility bills have gone up so much.

If you go for the tour, take lots of pictures and be sure to blog about it.

amanda said...

oh how cool would that be??

please go take the tour for me!!

can't wait to see some more pics :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Very cool.

Kristen said...

So that would be fabulous, and I am dying to hear more!!

Make money by living in a home?? That sounds too good to be true?

Keep us updated!

Laural Out Loud said...

This house looks so cool! I would love to live in something like this.

Tricia said...

What a cool house!!!! And YEAH about the budget. I can totally relate. We don't live on a budget, though I'm conscious of what we spend and we don't have debt (house excluded). But I bet I could be using a lot less of my savings I built up when I worked if we budgeted like we SHOULD be doing!!!!! Money keeps going out but not in! AH! You've inspired me!

Tyne said...

Hey shannon, thanks for stopping by. My daughter is 3 1/2, son is 2 and other daughter is 7 months- oh life is wild. cool green home.

Jenny said...

That house looks too cool! I hope you go on a tour and report back to us what it was like.
I would love to have a green home! Have a great weekend.

Rebecca said...

It looks and sounds like a really cool house, I can imagine the price tag would be very high as you said....how much is it exactly?

OHmommy said...

Cool.

One of the schools around us build a completely green building. It is out of this world cool. I think more and more of these will be popping up.

Anti-Supermom said...

The whole idea of the house is interesting, can you really make money instead of pushing money thru the doors of your residency? I agree, take the tour!!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs