Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 18, 2008

Been eating some good food

Here's my second promised update . . . a crafty mom cooks more and eats healthier!

You may remember I mentioned that I was on a mission to eat healthier.

So far so good, as they say.

I have not managed to eliminate sugar from my diet, but I have cut WAY back, and it's making a real difference. If we are looking for something sweet, or feel like a treat, I make sure it is something I make myself. We haven't bought any cookies or pre-made goodies in a number of weeks now. Of course there are days (like those stressful ones where three Things and one mommy are all screaming in unison) when I crave some trans-fat-laden, sugar-infested snack the size of Mount Everest, but slowly my body is beginning to adjust and crave those things less often. Due to the fact that I'm such a stress eater, I'm trying out a few other techniques before I reach for a cookie or some ice cream. Sometimes counting to ten works, other days it only reinforces the actual number of brownies I feel I deserve.

Making things from scratch is wonderful. It tastes amazing. But it takes a lot of time. I find myself often up late at night whipping up something in order to use an ingredient that I don't want to have to throw away (see my budget tying in here??). For example, I had two zucchini left last week from our organic basket. I couldn't figure out what to do with them, so I searched for a recipe online. Ended up finding this little gem. The BEST zucchini chocolate chip muffins I've ever tasted. I even put less sugar in than they called for. The boys gobbled them up, oblivous to the fact that it had green chunks all the way through it. Score one for mom. I also made these blueberry muffins, which were not greeted with as much general toddler love as the "ones that had chocolate in them".

Whatever. The blueberry ones were awesome too. It may sound like I've never baked, but that is not the case. It just seems that recently it has become something at which I am quite good.

I found a number of menu-related and cooking sites and blogs, all of them excellent. I really like this one, called From Mommy's Kitchen. She has another blog I read, The Princess Chronicles, about her life with two and four-year-old girls. Since I have the same in the "other sex" I like to read her perspective and funny tales. I love her Monday Menu plans because the recipes are good and all seem to be things we like to eat.

Like the home-made granola I made. I will likely never buy another bag or box of granola for the rest of my life. This stuff is delicious, and you can substitute or add anything you like. I added the raisins and some slivered almonds and we're going to run out soon because we're eating it like a pack of wolves.

You know, if wolves had easy access to an unlimited supply of granola.

There seem to be many benefits to eating better. For the most part we all seem to be doing better. I know I certainly feel better emotionally. Now that I'm not really going on sugar binges when I'm stressed (don't get me wrong, I still eat sugar, just not in the quantity and forms that I used to), I seem to be a bit more level-headed and balanced, even when I am having a bit of anxiety.

Because let me tell you, anxiety exists in a home with Three Things so close in age.

And without causing anyone to hate me or put a fist through their laptop, I'm going to go out on a limb and admit, proudly, that I am officially at my goal weight now. As a matter of fact I am several pounds lighter than I was before I became pregnant with Thing Three, in May 2007. I am running and exercising and I really feel terrific. It's likely my stomach flu helped this along a little bit, but I'm hoping my healthier eating played a major role in it too. Because that might actually motivate me to keep eating this way!!

18 comments:

Donna M said...

Sounds like you're turning into as good a baker as Nan was!

Tricia said...

I'm going back and forth between being completely jealous and completely motivated by your progress. At any rate, YOU GO. You should be proud! And I hope I can stay on the motivation side the next time I reach for my nilla wafers that were recently opened. Your budgeting is motivating me too by the way! So your blog is making a positive difference in people's lives! :)

Phyllis said...

I'm so proud of you, Shans! You just may achieve true 'June' status before me!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I am glad the granola worked out.

And congrats on reaching your goal weight! That is awesome.

4funboys said...

good for you!!!

I wish I was there too, but... NOT SO MUCH.

We're really bad about not eating healthy during baseball season because the schedule is so crazy.

urggg...

gigi said...

great post as I too am trying to be healthier...glad to have found this and your links!

Anti-Supermom said...

I just hit my goal weight this weekend too, but my baby is 14 months old, oh well. Congrats on all the baking and having the kiddos eat it too.

Unknown said...

Yum! Everything you have been baking sounds so wonderful. Great job on eating healthier!

ROBYN said...

Shannon, I found your blog from themomsblog.com and was instantly drawn to it cause we have so many things in common. It seems as if our kids are the same ages. I have a 4 year old boy, a two year old boy and a six month old baby girl.

Your blog is great! I will be back to read.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of your progress. I'm on day five without my Coke Zero and I have to tell you, it is getting a little bit easier.

I'm going to try those Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins this week. Thanks for the recipe link!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Look at you go! It sounds like you are doing awesome.... A budget, eating healthier, baking up a storm, back at your normal weight!

You are a rockstar, Shannon!

I have 8 pounds to go... But I'll skip the flu :)

-Andrea

Jenny said...

the zucchini muffins sound delish...
congrats on the weight goal, that is terrific! it sounds like everything you are doing is paying off.

Amanda said...

Shannon - SO FUNNY that you posted that blueberry muffin recipe! Last night I was searching for one! I needed to find a way to use up the delicious blueberries I got at Sam's the other day and wanted to make muffins. Bethany and I made them this morning and they were uber yummy! And, Bethany had fun helping me cook. Now I definiely want to try those zuchinni muffins!

Megan said...

oh, you totally went out of your way with all the recipe links! we all love new recipes!

woo hoo for you! so happy you're at your goal!!

Megan

Anonymous said...

Dude - just made the muffins. They are AWESOME!!!! I've also got all the stuff to make the granola so I'm going to try that out tomorrow.

McMommy said...

Hooray for goal weight!!!!

And seriously? Zucchini muffins?? Okkkkkkk...if you and Beth say so....

Martha said...

I just posted a CARROT SALAD recipe on my blog and came across your post here...
You might like that, modify it how you like, oh, and a handful of raisins make it even more exotic and a bit sweet.

Some kind of Mom said...

Have you seen the Deceptively Delicious cookbook? I think they sell it at Costco, but my mom just ordered it for me after seeing it on Oprah. It's Jerry Seinfeld's wife's recipes- full of ideas on how to sneak in veggies in unexpected places.

I'd love to have your granola recipe if you'll share!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs