Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Unscripted

Some of the brightest, most touching parts of my day are the conversations I overhear between Thing 1 and Thing 2. Totally oblivious to the fact that I was crooking my neck around the door frame so I could hear them even better, I overheard one particular such conversation between my two Things yesterday.

"I'm glad Rita is my sister," whispered Thing 2.

(He's been calling Thing 3 Rita since she was born in January. He's had a hard time with the L pronunciation and it usually comes out with the "R" sound. He's much better with L's now, although "Rita" instead of "Leah" seems to have stuck.)

I can see Thing 1 gasp as his entire face fills with an exasperation not uncommon for someone reaching into the freezer to find the ice cream container has been put back inside . . . completely empty. He is seething with frustration.

"David, listen to me. Her name is not RITA. It's not pronounced REE-TA. It is Leah. She is LEE-AH, LEE-AH, and that is her name and that is how you say it," Thing 1 retorts. As I listen, I can't believe he has never brought this up or made it an issue before.

Thing 2 ponders this for a moment.

"Yee-haw?" he puts forth his best effort.

"Yee-ah?"

"That's better. It's LEE-AH. That's how she likes you to say it," Thing 1 explains to his younger brother, in a more comforting voice.

Of course I now wonder if I am she or if, in fact, Leah is she.

So for now, Thing 2 will call his baby sister Yee-ah. Admittedly, a significant improvement from Rita.

11 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness that is so stinking cute!!! Are you kidding, schooling from one thing to another!

Love it!!

And I too was wondering if you were "she" or if Leah was "she".

That was THE BEST!

Landerson said...

Awwww......too cute Shan:)

Megan said...

that rita thing was hilarious! it made me giggle!

Megan

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Ha! Rita.... I would have been a little sad to see that phase fall by the wayside. :)

But, you did name her Leah NOT Rita, after all!

I love hearing the conversations between my two older ones also. They are most decidedly priceless.

-Andrea

Donna M said...

Well I laughed out loud! And he was definitely referring to Leah as "she".

Too cute!

dougnlarry said...

That is so cute. It will be fun to tell them someday that he called her Rita for the first 9 months of her life. :)

Jenny said...

what a great conversation to catch! i love when little ones try and say names and it comes out totally different. my niece could not say misti..so for the past 13 years my sister has been known as mimi...

Unknown said...

How sweet! And I didn't even think if he meant she as in you :)

And your picture of her? Could she get any cuter?! I don't think it's possible!

Nemeth family said...

How funny! And she will probably be called Rita for a long time! We have called Kyle 'Pete' since we brought him home (derived from 'Sweet Pete'--Bill's pet name for him). We probably call him Pete more than we call him Kyle. I'm sure Kelsey will be thoroughly confused when she tries to learn his name...is is Kyle or Pete?! LOL

amanda said...

how sweet is that honey?

and the picture - adorable!!

Sus said...

you make me even more eager to have a number 3. (Don't tell my husband.) :)

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs