Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, October 01, 2006

CIBC Run for the Cure!

This morning I ran the five kilometre run for the CIBC Run for the Cure in support of breast cancer. I was so proud of myself - I raised almost $1200!!! I want to share my thanks to all those who were so generous to donate towards the run.

Although five km isn't very long, I still trained to make sure I would do well on the run. My goal was to finish in less than 30 minutes (I did!!!). The downside was it was very cold and rainy this morning - it was hard to get out of bed and get myself down to Parliament Hill. Paul took a picture of me before the run . . . you can see I'm not looking too impressed!

And here I am on my way out the front door - yes, that's pouring rain!!!! I dedicated my run to Marilyn Large, a close family friend I knew all my life. She passed away in July and b/c I live far away from home now, I was at a loss as to what I could do to *help*. Running is something I can do so I decided I would run in the race and raise as much money as I could. I thought of her the whole time I ran this morning. I was impressed and proud of myself - I stayed near the front of the pack and finished with most of the early finishers. Even in the cold and wet the scenery was breathtaking - we ran along Parliament Hill, across the bridge to Quebec, around the musuem of Civilization, back across the other bridge and then past the Art Gallery to the finish line. It was extremely moving - thousands of people running, everyone with a different name on their shirt representing who they were running for.

When I got home I was greeted by the boys and got lots of hugs! Here I am post-race with a cool breast cancer fleece jacket I got. Oh, and that cute little guy is my frequent running partner ;-)! Paul was planning to run with me with the boys in the jogging stroller, but we scrapped that idea with the bad weather.

Here's my post-run *glow* . . . or sweat?

5 comments:

Landerson said...

You're a trooper Shan! Congratulations on the run and all the money you raised for breast cancer.

Donna M said...

Congratulations Shannon! You done good! I have sent a link to your blog to some of our friends who I thought might be interested.

lexa said...

Congrats on the run and all the money you raised! I'd be passed out before I hit the first corner! I like to walk, but I've got no stamina for jogging/running.

My boys love Max & Ruby. The show got on my nerves big time at first, but I'm used to it now!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Shan!

Liz said...

That is awesome you did that run!!! I am not a morning person either especially when it is rainy and cold out. I wish I could do that, someday, someday!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs