Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Let's Talk Preschool, Toy Testing, and Weddings

The past couple weeks have been incredibly busy. I don't know where the time goes anymore, it seems I wake up and seemingly seconds later I am heading to bed again for another night's sleep, wondering where the day went and why my to-do list has grown instead of getting smaller.

Again.

Thing 2 finished up preschool last week, and as vice president I was a big part of the year-end clean up and toy disinfecting movement. I can hardly believe I have now had two boys complete a year of preschool each, and am so completely and utterly pleased with our co-operative preschool that I have indeed agreed to stay on as vice president next year.

Even though I likely won't have a child attending the school in the fall. Huh. How's that for dedication? There is a possibility that Thing 3 could attend in the new year, as she turns two in January, but I am not sure if she (or I) would be ready for that as at this point I still think of her as my baby.

Except that this nearly-17-month-old ball of fire has recently become a true force with which to be reckoned. She does not stop moving. She climbs everything. Twice. Or three times. In an instant that I have blinked, dared to steal a moment alone in the bathroom, or focused my attention on another sibling, she is IN a sink, ON a table, HOVERING over a chair or SCALING her brothers' bunk bed ladder. My days are suddenly just a tad more tiring, and I am able to accomplish less and less during her waking moments. You'd think one would be an expert after three kids, but not I, no - I wipe my slate clean with each new babe I bring into the world - and with that includes the erasing of all previous memories of preceding Things' baby and toddler phases.

And, just in case I wasn't busy enough, it is toy testing season again and we have been inundated with a sea of Playmobil, books, monster trucks and Power Rangers. Although I swore to be more on the ball this year and really "on top of my game", I still seem to leave the report writing to the last minute. I completed three last week and had (once again) forgotten how time-consuming and intelligence-intensive they were. Regardless of how long it takes my brain-dead self to write the reviews . . . and locate 52, 987 teeny tiny pieces of a Playmobil ship to return to their original box . . . I still feel strongly that this is a wonderful experience for both the Things and I. I mean, they get to play with toys to their hearts' content and I get to observe and participate in a variety of types of fun and play as well.

And last, but not least, I wanted to briefly post about our weekend away last week. The Things' daddy, Thing 3, and my mother-in-law and I drove to Toronto for a family wedding. My gracious and generous mother offered to fly up to Ottawa from Nova Scotia for the weekend to watch the older two Things while we were away.

I really thought she was insane - or joking - but I took her up on it anyway.

She flew up on Thursday and we left on Friday morning, not arriving back until Sunday night. I was a little nervous. A tad apprehensive. And at times, even extremely worried. I had not left Things 1 and 2 for any more than a couple hours with anyone other than their father since they were born. Thing 1 still shows signs of separation anxiety lately and Thing 2 had been bucking the "terrible twos" trend and showing us just how hellish being three could be - and I just couldn't imagine how the weekend was going to transpire.

Over all, it went pretty well. The biggest and most exciting news was that neither boy missed their mommy very much. There were no tears shed and that I was not expecting at all. They had a blast with their Nana and enjoyed the entire weekend.

She . . . got Thing 1 to school, packed his lunch, got him off the bus, took them to a restaurant (not once, but TWICE . . . IN PUBLIC), chauffered Thing 1 to a t-ball tournament, watched the entire game while entertaining Thing 2, stayed afterwards for the carnival that was set up at the field, took them to a toy store with no one needing to be carted away on a stretcher, drove them across the entire city to see a movie, got lost on said movie trip and had to stop at a gas station with two cranky kids and ask for directions, wiped bums, made snacks, made friends with complete strangers at our neighbourhood park, endured what I can only assume must have been hours and hours of Pokemon-based discussions and faked genuine interest in the roles each Pokemon has, AND fed and walked our dog.

Is she a super-hero, or what? I know, I owe her big.

Our weekend away was fantastic. Paul was the best man in the wedding and it was just amazing. It was wonderful to spend time with relatives from all over - especially those crazy Irish - and to celebrate in a wedding for two special people for whom we care so much.

I'll sign off with some photos from the wedding. I came home with very few pictures, and absolutely none from the church ceremony. I was taking care of Thing 3 much of the weekend, and was only without her for the reception and dinner part of the evening on the Saturday night. But someone did get one of she and I together at the church. And, yes, that is the same dress she wore to a wedding almost one year ago. (As is mine. We have no shame.)

16 comments:

Chantal said...

Your mom is a super hero! Do you test with the "Toy Testing Council"? I have considered signing up for that. Sounds like a lot of work though...

Capital Mom said...

Your mom is awesome. Glad it all went well!

Loukia said...

YOu have been busy, Shannon! I love the picture of you and your daughter, it's gorgeous! You both look so good. :) Yay for your mom helping out, thank goodness for family, huh? The toy testing thing sounds super cool, too.
Oh and I hear you with the baby being all over the place and not stopping at all during the day! Dimitry seriously does not stop moving, nor does he have any fear whatsoever - so we are always behind him, ready to catch him as he almost falls down a flight of stairs, or off the couch, or off the bed! Tiring or what!?

Anonymous said...

Wow, your mom IS a superhero!

It's funny, though, how much better behaved our children can be for other people. Seriously. Other people can get my preschooler to nap or eat nicely in a restaurant. Me? Not so much. What's with that?

amanda said...

uhm double wow for your mom! she is a total keeper :)

and the toy thing - still totally jealous. even if you have to write it up later, it does sound very cool.

the wedding pics look beautiful - and you and the babe together? adorable!!

Unknown said...

Wow, you have a lot going on! Love the pictures from the wedding and yes, your Mom is wonderful, yeah for her and the boys.

Landerson said...

You and Leah look great! What about the best man??? I'm sure he looked dapper!

Lisa Thornbury said...

So great to get away, but so hard to leave the babes behind. I think I recognize the wedding venue..is that the O.V. Club? Glad you had a nice getaway. You deserve it. :)

Rebecca said...

A) you look amazing at the wedding, and baby is just precious

B) Your mom rocks

That is all :)

BeachMama said...

Great Photos! I love the one of you and Thing 3, you two are just beautiful girls.

As for your Mom, well, she deserves a medal for sure. I know that my Mom has done it for my Sisters and she goes full tilt for the time she is with the kids, then gets home and crashes. I hope she can do it again for you, as I am sure you guys had a great time.

Anti-Supermom said...

Shannon,
First off, you and your daughter look great - what an awesome photo of you two.

Second - I so wish we had a preschool co-op here, it's such a genius idea. Do you have any information on how this go started?

Third - you are crazy busy, you are making me sleepy :)

the Preppy Princess said...

Goodness Miss Crafty Mom, how you fit it all in a day is absolutely beyond me, you are remarkable! And so cool to agree to be VP again, you're fabulous.

They didn't cry when you left?! Yikes! Your mother is incredible, now I know where you get your energy! You look beautiful in that picture, it is great!

Sending a hug,
tp

Jean said...

Moms are the best! Yours is one good example. Great photos too. Hey, in case you have a cool business idea I'd say just go for it.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

You mom rocks! Good for her for handling it like a pro though I suspect she had some practice in her younger days :)

You and your girl are looking smashing! Last year's dresses, pshaw, if they're good, they are good!

Anonymous said...

My Shannon, you have been busy. No wonder I haven't seen you around on twitter lately (or maybe it's been me not there).

I hear you on the testing toys, it's a great opportunity, but lots of work, for moms.

I'm glad to hear you had a nice weekend away. I love the picture of you and your youngest. You both look simply beautiful :-)

And now I'm here to bestow the Honest Scrap award on you:
http://cabadov.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/blog-award/

Enjoy!

Anti-Supermom said...

knock, knock...

Hey Shannon, just checking in to make sure that you are surviving the summer with all three children :)

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs