Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, December 15, 2008

Perspective

As I leaned over to kiss my oldest Thing good night, to tuck in the edges of his fluffy duvet in the side of his bed, and tell him I love him, he instantly put it all in perspective for me.

Thing 3 has had a rough go of teething lately and has been waking mommy up at a heart-breakingly early hour each morning. I'm a smidge tired and worn out, but I try to take it all in stride because I realize the holidays will be over before I know it. I've definitely been a bit of a grump around the house, and with the added effect of two Things wound up and entirely too excited for Christmas, we had a tough day here.

I whispered softly in Thing 1's ear.

"I'm sorry I was so grumpy and tired today. Tomorrow is going to be better. I promise."

He looked up from his pillow with those gigantic blue eyes the size of helium balloons. He paused, he looked at me, and then he took a deep breath.

"Mommy, you don't have to do it all, all the time. It's ok, really, it is."

I was completely stunned. Stunned by his perceptiveness, his ability to articulate his feelings, and his keen sense of understanding the situation from such a grown-up view. I didn't know what to say.

"And, mommy?"

"Uh, yes?" said the mommy blown away by her kindergarten-going son's maturity.

"It's okay to let Daddy help sometimes."

"Even if he does it wrong."

And like a slap in the face, lesson learned.

Instantly.


17 comments:

OHmommy said...

Yup. That is one smart fella.

I have a four year old daughter that me might be interested in, in about 20 years or so.

What do you say. She is really cute.

Honey Mommy said...

Wow. That is one smart kid!

Heidi said...

Wow! Perceptive indeed - your heart must still be melting, Shannon!

Anonymous said...

Amazing. That boy will someday be the best husband ever. I have two girls over here that he might be interested in.

The Mom Jen said...

So wise beyond his years!! wow!

Landerson said...

Shan, he's amazing! Can you send him my way, I need a pick-me-up too;)
XO

Tammi Hayne said...

I'd have been bawling :)
I guess that's what you'd call a Kodak moment for the heart.

Megan said...

kids really have it sometimes- sometimes not (!)- but sometimes they really surprise me with their thoughts!

Megan

Donna M said...

"Out of the mouths of babes."

amanda said...

my heart just went all meltly :)

tiarastantrums said...

oh - TOO funny!

Unknown said...

Now THAT was cute!

Just the Four of Us said...

Wow. What a sensitive, perceptive little guy. Wow!! That really is amazing. What a little sweetheart.

Kristen said...

Yea for Thing 1!! How adorable!!

And thanks for making me feel normal. I have many days where I seem to be apologizing for my behavior. This Mama (in charge of the house) gig is a dousy!

Anonymous said...

Your Things are very wise. And very cool as well. Thank you for posting this...
tp

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

Oh, what a perceptive little sweetie pie. You're doing a great job, Mom!

Anonymous said...

Yep, perspective indeed. Brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for sharing.
Minna

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs