Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, December 01, 2008

An impulsive decision costs me my sleep

It is, quite unfortunately, in my nature to make impulsive decisions sometimes. While I'm always trying to improve my impulsive ways ("work in progress" is my middle name), I do often have to lay in the bed I've made.

Today's bed is uncomfortably HARD.

When I had been running on a regular basis over the summer, I had lost the rest of my baby weight and was feeling pretty good about myself. I was far from perfect, but at what I deemed an acceptable weight and size for someone who had recently had three Things.

By the end of August my allergies were in full force, making it difficult to breathe outside, let alone run. I was then walloped with a serious sinus infection, which lasted about 3 weeks. This takes us to the end of September.

Then, bring on Thanksgiving, Thing 3's baptism weekend FULL of cake and treats, and Halloween . . . ALL in one month. And while I'm thankful the 3 Things didn't eat much Halloween candy, I'm woefully embarrassed to tell you who did.

The first week of November brought with it Paul's birthday, with - wait for it - more cake. The colder weather also means I am cooking a lot of hefty comfort food for us to eat each night. And did I mention the cookies? Yep, I bake them a lot so I don't have to buy them. It's a good idea in theory - until you stuff too many in your own mouth.

This spiraling sequence of events left me feeling a little bloated, a lot out of shape, and enormously fearful for the upcoming Christmas season. On impulse, I decided something drastic needed to be done.

A friend told me she did a "boot camp" this summer, that is held right around the corner from my house. Perfect. It runs 6-7 a.m. and I could be home before the 3 Things even get up! Brilliant! It's fairly expensive, but, hey, I'm worth it, right? As Paul's favourite mantra goes . . . HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE.

So I bit the bullet, went to the website and without a moment's consideration, I signed up for a month of bootcamp on Tuesday and Thursday mornings in December. I was excited. Weeks ago when I registered.

Now? Not so much excited. More like terrified. Truly fearful. I've heard it's really tough, and that the woman who runs it trains Olympic athletes. While I'm not in the absolute worst shape of my life, I doubt I am ready to keep up with a roomful of buff and firm keeners who won't even break a sweat.

And what was I thinking signing up for ANYTHING at 6:00 a.m.??? I will have to get up at 5:30 a.m.! It is dark then. My 3 Things don't even wake before 7:30 a.m. It is cold. My car will be cold. My body will be cold. And sore. And sweaty. And tired. I like my sleep, and I sleep a lot, at least 8-9 hours a nine.

Wish me luck. I start tomorrow morning. I suppose the good news is if I hate it I don't have to register again in January. But being stubborn, I will go to each class this month because I paid for it.

13 comments:

tiarastantrums said...

OH - you are brave - I almost did this class too - but mine in at 5 am! too early for me - I don't sleep well and 5 am is the time that I am actually sleeping - argh - what else to do about this extra 10 pounds that is quickly becoming 15!!!!!!

Lara said...

Good luck! I was really intrigued by one of those programs too. I hope it works well for you! :)

amanda said...

wishing you luck friend!!

and loving the new look :)

Donna M said...

Good luck! You are a glutton for punishment!

Jenn said...

Good Luck Shan!! I wish I was there with you!!

Landerson said...

You go girl!!! :-))

JoeGirl said...

You are CR-AAAAAZY!

Love the revamp of your blog. Oh, so, Suess-eriffic!

E-Lo said...

Oh lord - good luck! I just started doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and found out just how out of shape I really am. I've only done it three times though and I can honestly feel my butt getting smaller - so I hope boot camp has the same results! I can't wait to see your update on how it went!

Unknown said...

YOU CAN DO IT! I can't wait to hear about how it goes! : )

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Oh girl.... I would have done exactly the same thing you did, in exactly the same way. And then I would be having exactly the same panicky thoughts - I happen to HATE a cold car. But, my butt would be in that class every session. I'm impulsive AND stubborn. Quite the combo.

Have fun!! (or something like that...:))

-Andrea

dougnlarry said...

How did it go? I'm sure you did better than you thought you would. I have total faith in your ability to do it.

Robyn said...

Ha, I feel the same way about the gym, dang it I paid for it and I will have my butt there every day. I am frustrated that it isn't helping at all, it has even given me bigger calves and thighs.
I hope boot camp goes better than expected.

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

good for you! You are going to do great - I am sure that it's going to be tough, but think of how amazing you're going to feel. Just do your best and don't worry about the other people there!!! You rock!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs