Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Thing 3

One of my goals in initiating this blog was to keep family far away up-to-date and in tune with our growing family. I wanted a place where I could freely write about each of my three Things, which would enable me to take some time out of my hectic life to just enjoy and experience the blossoming lives of each one of them.


Except that sometimes I get busy and I forget to do this. And while I am never too busy to think about what I'd like to write, I don't often enough afford myself the time to do justice to the incredible little people you three are becoming.


So, for this moment, I'll start with Thing 3.


My dear, little Leah. Time must be truly escaping me, because I cannot fathom how it is you turned seven months old on Friday. What this means is that seven months ago I gave birth (quickly) to your sweet 7lbs-and-10-ounces-self; and I held your adorable little body for the first time. I nuzzled in the warmth of your tender skin next to mine as I nursed you for the first of what would become countless feedings. My heart skipped a beat as I caught you doing the unimaginable . . . opening those stunning blue eyes to try to get a glimpse of this crazy world you just entered. This life-long adventure for which you just earned a round-the-world ticket.


Just as it was with Thing 1 and Thing 2, I find myself completely amazed at your growth and development at this tender, young age. You are embarking on that path that leads away from infancy and into a “big baby” world. You are a little person now, with a distinctively unique personality, one that envelopes the world around you and captivates your friends and family.


You can sit up on your own. On occasion, you will lean to one side to pick up a toy, or grasp for a piece of the rug or some other fascinating texture, and suddenly tip over. You're well cushioned and so you don't cry as you tumble over. You're a big girl, and are likely 19 pounds by now (weight check at your six month check-up was 18 lbs 7 oz). You resemble a soft, plush teddy. Like those yummy, squeazable ones you would urge your boyfriend to win for you at the fair. I could hug you and kiss you all day long, if there were just enough hours in a day for me to live out that kind of blissful fantasy.



You rolled over for the first time months ago, and lately you like to gain enough momentum to just, well, keep on rollin'. As in - right across the room - or right down the hall. You're fascinated with our hardwood floors, you seem to delight in knocking your soft little knuckles on the sturdy surface. You're not crawling yet, but I fear this milestone is not far out of reach. You easily extend yourself up in a full push-up position, even raising your body up onto hands and knees. You can slide and push yourself backward several feet, and that is simply all the baby mobility that this mama of three Things can handle right now. I have two other monkeys on the move I need to keep my eye on. So, yes, this is my plea: no crawling before kindergarten!


You have taken recent interest in all your surroundings, especially your toys. And we have many of them. Being a toy-testing family with a young baby, a toddler, and a preschooler, our home is inundated with toys, with at least half a dozen just in the 6-12 month range. Your latest fascination is with Jessie, that crazy cowgirl from Toy Story 2. You love when your brothers pull her cord and she barks, “howdy cowpokes!”, or “yeeeeee-hawwwww”. You laugh and giggle and shake all over. And then sometimes you try to eat Jessie. But I don't let you, because you just never know if her adorable painted little face and puckered lips might have possibly been painted in China.


You love your exersaucer and you really revel in sitting in the middle of the room taking in all the hustle and bustle that has become our little home. From your safe vantage point, you can watch your brothers, keep an eye on Rudy, and make sure mommy stays in line. You love going for walks in your single stroller, and in your Beco, but nothing beats an evening stroll in the hefty double stroller, allowing you to tilt your head to one side to peek at your big brother, Thing 2. He acts all tough sometimes, but really his heart melts when he looks at you and catches you smiling at him, and he loves hangin' witcha in da 'hood.


Your smile, little Leah, could brighten a thousand cities. It could light a million torches. It might outshine an entire fireworks display. And it certainly melts the hearts of those fortunate enough to be caught in its path. It is even precious enough to stop your brothers in their tracks, and to halt strangers at the grocery store. Those two tiny chicklets jutting from your bottom gums lend character to that enchanting grin.


You are always happy and content. You have barely cried in your entire seven months. You nurse well. You eat well. You sleep well. In my best Renee Zellweger voice . . . You Complete Me. You are the perfect completion to our family, the last Thing to take membership in our clan. You fill an emptiness I didn't even know my heart held. You have made going from two Things to three easier to adjust to than when we went from one Thing to two. You are the sand to our beach, the ketchup to our fries, and the sunshine to our blue sky.

I love you.

18 comments:

JoeGirl said...

Gulp. Sniff. Gotta wipe those tears from my eyes so I can see the keyboard!

Shannon - this letter is soooo lovely. And sweet Leah is GORGEOUS! I am so looking forward to meeting you someday soon. You have already captured a chunk of my heart with your generous words.

Hope you're feeling better tonight ;)

Simply Shannon said...

She is absolutely precious! What a beautiful post.

Leslee P said...

That is possible the sweetest thing i have ever read. what a wonderful little thing she must be! she is beautiful and so was your post. She will be so proud to read this one day and see the love you have had for her from the very start... you might want to pull this sucker out when she is having one of those trying teenage moments- this will bring her back down- how could it not?

Kristen said...

Oh Shannon that was beautiful!

Thing 3 is so lucky to have you as her Mama. What a wonderful outpouring of your love.

Truly, my friend, beautiful!

Donna M said...

Such a gorgeous little thing! She deserves all the accolades with her wonderful smile and personality!

Hope your poor face is getting better!

Rebecca said...

What a lovely letter to Leah Shans, she is beautiful and such a big girl already!

amanda said...

just beautiful friend.

her. your words and thoughts.

all of it.

beautiful.

dougnlarry said...

Wow, that is so sweet. Leah is lucky to have you.

She's just gorgeous too!

Megan said...

oh, i love those blue eyes.

Megan

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words, beautiful baby.

I have been thinking more about a third lately, and let me just say that this is not helping my husband!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet baby! This will be so nice to read when she is a teenager and driving you crazy!

Landerson said...

Very touching.....and motivating as I sit and watch Hunter spit up all over himself.....gotta remember to cherish these moments:)

Unknown said...

Oh, what a sweet post!
She is adorable. 100% pure cuteness. For sure.
I love the pictures and I LOVE that last pink outfit!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Your Leah is absolute loveliness. Pure and simple. She and Eliza are so much alike - the milestones, the tendencies... Baby girls are perfection in pink.

-Andrea

OHmommy said...

That is why I started blogging too. To keep family involved and preserve our memories.

Your Leah is a doll. I love sleeping pictures, they are way cute.

Nemeth family said...

OMG. You made me cry. At work. Darn you. That was sooo sweet and I hope Leah gets to read it someday and appreciates it as much as I did. She is so precious. I've never met her and I just want to squeeze and hug her!

C! said...

That was so beautiful Shannon, she is so adorable - I love it!

tiarastantrums said...

love this - I felt the same way, that my third really completed our family! (now I want another - will that feeling ever go away?)

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs