Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, January 02, 2010

My Whole Body Action Plan

Last spring I worked particularly hard to get in shape. I did the 30-Day Shred twice and ended up having some pretty great results. I was toned, fit, strong, and I felt incredible. I spent the summer and fall running and was more than pleased with how things were going. Right after Thanksgiving weekend I pulled something in my leg - and the weather became colder - so I stopped running.

And started snacking. On absolutely nothing healthy.

Suddenly it was November and I could hardly see straight as I became busy with holiday preparations and craft sales and baking and Christmas card-making. Under the misconception that I "deserved" it because I was a hard-working busy mom of three Things, I allowed myself treat after treat and high-caloric-and-fat-filled-gingerbread latte after another.

I paid no attention to what was going on until I noticed my jeans were all getting tight and becoming difficult to button. And then, yesterday, in the spirit of New Year's, I weighed myself.

Yowza. I have gained ten pounds!

My approach is that there is "no use crying over spilled milk", so I am going to forge ahead and make some changes. Starting Monday, of course.

By chance, I found this Whole Body Action Plan from Whole Living in my e-mail inbox a few days ago and have decided it looks like a plan I can follow.

The program claims, "Every day, beginning January 4, we'll learn new strategies for living a healthier lifestyle. We'll revamp our eating habits with a four-day detox program, clear our minds with stress-relief exercises, and energize our bodies with a workout that builds week after week to incorporate cardio, strength training, and flexibility".

After reading through it carefully, I think it suits me perfectly!

Days 1-3 are for preparing to cleanse and then days 4-7 are for a mild cleanse. I was skeptical, until I saw that the plan is fairly reasonable and that you can still eat some real food while doing it. (I tried a cleanse a few months ago that was quite harsh and made me feel pretty sick, so I didn't last more than a couple days.) The actual cleansing is only four days - I figure I should be able to handle that, right??

Along with following the Whole Body Action Plan I'll be starting the 30-Day Shred yet again. I don't have a treadmill or any other way of doing cardio inside, and working out 20 minutes a day to an exercise DVD was always something I was able to fit in my day. So until the weather eases up a bit I don't think I'll be hitting the snow-covered streets in my runners.

If you're joining me in a quest to get fit or be healthier in 2010, tell me about it! What are you doing? What are your goals? I wish you all the best of luck and invite you to join me as I will be updating at least once a week on my progress.

29 comments:

Capital Mom said...

Good for you!
I would like to exercise more. I don't mean to always find excuses but I do find it hard to fit in. I was running three mornings a week, which was great, but I find that hard to do with the cold and snow. I am trying to get to a yoga class twice a week but that can be hard with timing. And tiredness.
Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Good for you and good luck. I've been a bit spoiled for the last 10 months with nursing, have allowed myself to pretty much consume whatever I want with little to no consequences. I too will need to get back on the horse, but I've given myself until I go back to work. I hope you can stick with it, because it really does make us feel better doesn't it.

BeachMama said...

I'll have to check out that whole body action plan. I didn't quite gain 10lbs, but the 5 I did ticked me off. I have been running on the treadmill and did another 5k today. Hubby has the 30 day shred and was going to start it on Monday when everyone is out of my hair again. If you feel the need to run let me know we can arrange a playdate ;).

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Christy said...

I'm nursing right now and despite thinking that nursing will melt the weight off of me, I haven't lost ONE pound since my son was burn. Not being able to restrict calories is kind of hard when you want to lose weight, so I'm going full board on the exercise hoping to gain muscle so when I stop nursing the weight will then come off :) I think I'm joining the X-weighted challenge!! Good luck to you!

Christy (@anniekiki)

Debra said...

I am doing the whole body action plan this year.. I thought about doing it last year but didn't quite get there. I have probably gained at least 10 lbs since last Jan. I haven't tried the 30 day shred but I will definitely look into it.

You are brave for weighing yourself! I haven't had the nerve to do it yet. I have stayed away from the scale and have worn sweats or yoga pants as much as possible. Yikes!!

Good luck!!

dougnlarry said...

I'm sure that weight will come right off. Don't feel badly. Last year I put on 5 lbs in 2 weeks around the holidays. And I got it back off in no time too. Good luck!

Jenny said...

It sounds like you have a great plan of action. I am like you, a runner and I enjoy being outside doing it. But when it is 20 degrees outside, not so much. Being a trainer I know what I need to do and what works best for my body and starting tomorrow I will be back to kickboxing with newly downloaded music to my ipod nano I got for Christmas.
Can't wait to hear about all your updates!

Heidi said...

Right there with you Shannon - Scot and I started the 30 Day Shred last week and hope to see it through. I weighed myself at my mom's over Thanksgiving (I don't have a scale) and was horrified, so since then I have made it a goal to exercise 3 days a week. I had been running/walking on the treadmill, but I'm excited about the 30 Day Shred because it is so short and yet seems so effective already.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Great resolutions! Good luck and keep us posted on the plan you are trying.

Melanie said...

Way to go! I think by setting reasonable goals you'll be sliding back into those jeans in no time! Way to go, you've encouraged me to do the 30 day shred... first step is hardest: finding time to go to store to buy it!

Sarah said...

Good for you! I have to start moving too. Breastfeeding has helped me lose all of the baby weight but I am a jiggly mess. I just need to get some sleep and then back to working out again!

Mindful Merchant said...

I am in need of some inspiration and motivation when it comes to excercise. I admire your determination and look forward to reading more about the program and wish you success.

Nishant said...

I am trying to get to a yoga class twice a week but that can be hard with timing. And tiredness.

Work from home India

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

As that interestingly sounds

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The authoritative answer

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs