Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, January 25, 2010

Morning Message

Every weekday morning when Things 1 and 2 wake up and get ready to go to kindergarten, they are greeted at the breakfast table with a "morning message". If you're a teacher, or you have children in kindergarten, you are likely very familiar with this concept already.

I use my Crayola Dry Erase Activity Center to write a new message each night before I go to bed, so the kids can read it when they get up in the morning. We sit and eat breakfast and read it together (they are 4 and 5, so not the strongest readers yet).

We go over the date, the year, and then we discuss the days of the week in French - both boys are in 50/50 French school so each alternate day is in French. I then leave a brief note about something we will be doing later that day, to give them something to look forward to after they come home from school. (Ya know, since they come home BEFORE lunch!!)

They usually start by trying to read the message on their own - or at least picking out and circling all the words they recognize. Before Christmas I focused on numbers and did a count down to December 25th - they loved the anticipation and excitement and were learning about counting and numbers along the way.

I really can't say enough wonderful things about the Crayola Dry Erase Activity Center. And this is not a product review, I just absolutely love it. I bought it about a year and a half ago and we use it every day - the kids practice their printing on it, I write them messages, they draw pictures. And it all erases off with no effort with the soft eraser that comes with the board. It's amazing!!

This is a very simple and easy activity to do with your preschooler or kindergartner each morning!

8 comments:

Jenny said...

What a great idea! I love that board!

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it!

Capital Mom said...

That is awesome. I love that idea.

Christy said...

Love love love this idea!

Shannon said...

Very cool! Do you know where in Ottawa you can pick one up?

A Crafty Mom said...

Shannon - I have seen them at Staples and at Zellers, and online too!! I bought ours at Zellers a couple years ago . . .

Dear Diary said...

This is an awesome idea!! Thanks for taking the time to share this with us!! :)

Unknown said...

What a great idea - I love how you are using it. If only I was more motivated I would be ALL about this. Maybe when baby is a little older... : )

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs