Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, October 04, 2009

CIBC Run for the Cure

Today I ran with 20,000 other people in Ottawa (and thousands more than that across Canada) to help find a cure for breast cancer. I have run this race several times before and I am always is awe of what a moving and overwhelming experience it is to be running with so many other passionate people all fighting for the same cause.

I ran with my friend Kelly . . . and by some stroke of luck we ran at exactly the same pace and we both finished the five km run somewhere between 26 and 27 minutes.

I ran the race in memory of a caring, intelligent and very inspiring woman named Marilyn Large, who I knew from the moment I was born until she passed away three years ago. She left a mark on my life - and that of so many others - and I never walk into a crowded room full of people or a situation that makes me nervous and not remember her words of wisdom to me.

"Always walk with your head up and shoulders back, Shannon. Good posture exudes good confidence."

And it was with my shoulders back and head up that I remembered her today, and ran for her and so many other women who are fighting this disease today.

Thing 2 woke up early this morning to see his mommy off before she left for her run. He's not much of a morning person, in case you couldn't gather that from the photo.

And I would be remiss if I didn't give credit to my very loyal running partner, Rudy. While cocker spaniels come from an ancestry of bird dogs, don't let anyone tell you that a 31 pound cocker can't run a good 5K several times a week. This guy has been running with me regularly since last spring and has not lagged behind me one single time. I may bring him with me to run the race next fall, because I did see a lot of participants running with their dogs today.

Huge thanks to all my friends and relatives who supported me in the run today. It is much appreciated and went to such a tremendously good cause.

13 comments:

JoeGirl said...

I’m just about in tears, Shannon! Good for you!!! I am not a runner, but this post just about inspired me to get out there and train to run for a worthy cause like this one. Absolutely wonderful!

Anti-Supermom said...

Shannon,great job, what a fabulous run time! An inspirational post, thank you for sharing.

Donna M said...

You made me tear up, remembering Marilyn! It is wonderful to know she meant so much to you and for you to honour her like this!

Loukia said...

Congrats, Shannon, That is very touching and it must have felt wonderful to complete that run! I am determined to do this one year. And your dog is really beatiful, by the way!

Chantal said...

Yay for doing the run, and it such amazing time. I am a slow runner, it takes me 35+ mins to do 5K. I plan on running this one next year!

Anonymous said...

Hey Shannon, you make me very proud!That's a great tribute to Marilyn and soooo inspirational.

Wits

Heddy said...

Co9ngratulations on the run - that's great time! You made a really nice tribute to a woman who touched a lot of people's lives - and while reading this post, had a few fond memories of Marilyn pop go through my mind.

I also wanted to thank you for the nice compliments on my hats and bags ...the hats will be sweet on such cute models! (Tracy's boys love theirs, and I hope your boys do too!)

The Preppy Princess said...

Oh, good for you Miss Shannon, that is fabulous, and for such a great cause. Reading this brought a big smile to my face. (And not just because of the cute factor with Rudy & Thing 2.)

Sending you a big congratulatory hug!
tp

Landerson said...

Way to go Shan! I'm sure Marilyn's smiling from up above:) Miss her.

Anonymous said...

Good goin Shannon...we all know someone who has or has had breast cancer...Rudy must be in great shape as well..keep up the good work for the cause

Jen said...

Thing 2 looks like he enjoys mornings as much as me.

You really should be proud of yourself for this accomplishment. I am hoping to complete my first 5K for the Shamrock race in March. (and maybe if I start training soon, a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving).

Your running partner is adorable!

BeachMama said...

Great job Shannon. I still can't believe we were that close to each other. I did scan my photos to see if you were in any, but you must have been just that much more ahead of me :).

Rebecca said...

congrats! great job

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs