Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, March 08, 2009

The Indiana Jones Cake

Thing 1 had his fifth birthday party on Saturday. He turns five on Thursday. I have hardly come to terms with the fact that he will be FIVE. Years. Old. Wow.

My plans to keep his party simple evolved nicely and the party was a fantastic hit!

I stayed up late Friday night putting together his Indiana Jones birthday cake. It cost me next to nothing and was ridiculously easy to make. I got the cake idea from Life As Mom, and just adapted a few parts of the recipe. Thing 1's face exploded with excitement when he saw it, which made every minute I put into it more than worth it.

As the birthday boy readied himself to blow out the candle on his cake, I reminded him to close his eyes and make a wish, and that if he were to blow the flame out, the wish might come true.

My heart strings were hardly prepared for what oozed out of his little lips next.

"I wish that everyone here will be my friends forever."

Gah. Pass the tissues, please?

We had 10 little boys over for pizza and cake and games and general craziness and chaos.

They had a blast. Chocolate-smudged lips to prove it!

After I had recovered from my post-party clean up and my blood pressure dove back down to a healthy reading, I enjoyed a cup of tea with my husband while we chatted about the amazing group of boys with whom Thing 1 is friends. They are really fantastic, and we are just so blessed to have a group of friends with such wonderful boys. We can only hope that this same group of boys is back around our kitchen table sharing a slice of chocolate cake in ten years.



20 comments:

Donna M said...

Great looking cake Shannon! Very impressive indeed! Glad to hear the party was a huge success. With you hosting it, how could it be anything but successful?

dougnlarry said...

The cake looks great! How is he already 5??

Anonymous said...

What an awesome cake! Maybe you've missed your calling! Enjoy your little guys 5th birthday. Take lots of pics and videos. We just watched one of my oldest guys birthday from he was 5 and he had his first party with friends from school. Great memories!

OHmommy said...

super cute cake. super cute kids. super cute! you make nice things, shannon!

lexa said...

Happy birthday!! I love that cake, it's too cool. You're so crafty. :)

Loukia said...

Love the cake, good job! Happy Birthday to your oldest son! Amazing how the years go by, huh?

Jen said...

That cake is so cool!! I'm sure your son will never forget it.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Hi Shannon,

thanks so much for commenting on my griping and complaining post. I am glad to hear it is normal and that if I keep goign, things will get better. I have to admit I haven't been running outside much either...we have an indoor track and because we live in SK, I ain't runnign outside till winter hits the road!

And that cake! That was a wonderful cake, great job. And your boy is a darling, his wish was priceless.

:)

Anonymous said...

Awesome party Shannon! J saw the cake and immediately wanted one the same for his birthday in August. Will see how that goes as his theme changes weekly right now.

Unknown said...

Wonderful job on the cake Mommy! It looks delicious too.

And your little guy is SO sweet, what a fun and sweet party you had for him! : )

Amanda said...

I looooove the cake! Awesome, my friend! Great job. And what a sweet wish Pete made. You are so blessed.

Anonymous said...

That cake came out *so* cool Miss Shannon! No wonder he was excited to see it! It looks like it all went really, really well! Congrats on doing such a great job!

The pictures are wonderful, Paul looks so cute.

Smiles at you,
tp

Shan said...

You did an awesome job on that cake! Good for you!!

amanda said...

look at that awesome cake mama!!

sooo glad everyone had so much fun :)

Honey Mommy said...

Oh what fun! My oldest is going to be three this year, and I am a bit shocked about that. I can't even imagine having a five year old!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the perfect party, my friend. And your cake looks much better than my attempt at a number five!

Melissa ♥ Spoiled Mommy said...

WOW!!
You did a great job!!
And look at those happy faces!

Happy 5th birthday lil man!

Landerson said...

Soooooo impressed with the cake Shan! Glad to hear the party was a success. Hard to believe the little guy's gonna be 5!!!!

Cold Spaghetti said...

Oh, my. OH, MY!

Maybe if I had done that for my 5 year old's birthday party, he wouldn't have called me The World's Worst Mom last week??

Audrey said...

This is exactly what I needed to see! I was googling Indiana Cakes this morning and your blog came up!! How cool!! I am totally going to try and do what you did!! :)
LOVE the photos... it's for a 5th (and 4th) bday, too! :)
Audrey

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs