Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hitting the Open Road

Our Ottawa weather has been unseasonably beautiful and warm lately. To any boy of any age, that signals a busting out of one's bike to test it out on the open road. I assured Thing 1 that he was ready to embark on a bike ride sans training wheels. (He is a fabulous biker and didn't even need them last summer although I was reluctant to take them off too soon.)

We discarded the training wheels in a corner of our garage and headed for the street.

It was difficult to get decent pictures, because daddy was watching Things 2 and 3 at the same time he was snapping shots. But you can see Thing 1 biking on his own, with me running at break-neck speed to keep up with him.

Here I am running faster. Our neighbour John came out to catch a piece of the action. I mean, this was *big* news in Ottawa yesterday, folks.

I attribute Thing 1's success with biking to the fact that he learned how to bike on a Kinderbike. It is a bike with no pedals that teaches kids to learn how to balance the bike on their own, while pushing with their feet and forcing the bike to glide along. Here is Thing 2, now big enough to have graduated from his tricycle to the Kinderbike this season. Big thanks to my sister-in-law in Vancouver for getting the bike for Peter two summers ago . . . it has been well used!

9 comments:

Donna M said...

Another milestone! How wonderful it is that we can all be a part of your family life even though we are many miles away! Keep up the great blogging!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Thing 1!

The KinderBike looks great. I'm rather sad, because I think it would be a great way to learn and I think my oldest is just a smidge too old for it. I'll have to check them out for #2.

Landerson said...

Way to go Pete!!! I'll have to look into this Kinderbike....looks pretty neat!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

That Kinderbike is a great idea, I haven't seen them before.

Our almost 5 year old is anxious to give biking with no training wheels a try. Of course the snow has to go first!!! Maybe if it stays warm this week, we can get out in the church parking lot next weekend. :)

BeachMama said...

Awesome. J still doesn't ride. I did get him out last week but for some reason he is just terrified.

dougnlarry said...

I am so impressed. Gracie is almost 7 and still has training wheels on her bike. WTG Pete!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Yay! I love that kind of bike. I have often thought of removing the pedals from our bikes, only to forget and have it snow again...

the Preppy Princess said...

I love it - kinderbike, it is perfect. It's great to see the sunshine!

FYI, I tagged you in today's post, which still isn't up...! Yikes!
tp

Loukia said...

Wow, never heard of a kinderbike before, sounds great... amazing achievement, too, congrats to your little guy!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs