Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Baby Girl is HERE!!!

Pete and David's little sister arrived last night!!!! (Yes, finally I will not have to answer the "have you had THAT baby yet" question!).

Whew.

I called my midwife Diane just after 9:00-ish last night b/c I'd had several hours of contractions about 10 minutes apart. Those who have talked to me recently also know I'd had pretty strong contractions for the past THREE weeks - including two false labour scares. Suddenly yesterday things got very painful and intense quickly.

Diane said she was on her way, and my contractions went from 10 minutes to 5-4-3-2-1 - minutes apart in about 10 minutes. We called back - and said come FAST. We called Paul's mom, and as she ran in the front door my water broke . . . I ran to my room and said I could feel the head. Diane arrived at 9:40, I was needing to push, so she said "push!" and our little baby came out in one push!!! WOW. Very intense (and painful, of course) but so super fast it is unbelievable. Brigid and Paul were there to help, the second midwife did not make it. She was born at 9:45 p.m.

Her name is Leah Elizabeth, she weighs 7 lbs 11 oz (who knew that much baby was in me?????) and is PERFECT. She is nursing and sleeping so well. So Leah will share her granny's birthday and was born on the full moon after all.

A little while after Leah was born last night . . .



The boys (who slept through everything since it went so fast and I'm told I didn't even yell or scream!) were pleasantly surprised to have a sister when they woke up this morning!!!

David and Leah . . .

Mommy, David and new little Leah.



Granny Brigid, checking out her full moon baby last night.

Our little family . . . minus Daddy b/c he took the pictures this morning.


Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes and help - we appreciate it and will keep you all updated. Our midwife comes back today for another check up!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Shannon!!! She is so beautiful! Welcome to the world of 3 children...its an adventure you'll absolutely love. We are coming to Ottawa for two weeks in March. Can't wait to see you all then and meet Leah!

Big hugs,

Katrien

Stephanie said...

Leah, welcome! You are so beautiful! We can't wait to see you in February!

Love, Auntie Steph, Pierson and Uncle Chris

Mommyn2kids said...

Congratulations!!!!!! She is so beautiful and precious! You look wonderful too! Welcome to the world, Leah!

Kelli said...

Shannon, she is GORGEOUS!! Congratulations! The boys look so proud of her too!

CrunchyCon said...

I'm so happy for your whole family. I cannot imagine the boys' surprise to wake up with a new baby sister. It's wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Oh yay!! Guess this means my lazy arse better send off your package, no excuse now. Congrats on the little beauty. Leslie, Mason & Truman

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Shannon!! She is so beautiful and you look amazing!! I can't wait to see you guys. :)

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!
I was going to call you this week to see how you were doing and now I see you are doing great! She is very beautiful, just like her Mom. Let me know when you are up to a visit as we have something for Leah and would love to meet her.
You look awesome!
Konnie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bertels Family! That is an awesome story. Fast labour, one push, sleeping brothers? I love it! Nice name Leah and good job. Shannon, you look fantastic and mobile too!? Amazing. I look forward to seeing more pictures as she grows.
Kristen

Anonymous said...

Congrats Shannon!! She's Beautiful!! Can't wait to see her!! hehe
The boys look so cute with their sissy. : )
*HUGE HUGS*

Tammi Hayne said...

Welcome Leah!
God love ya for getting a recap and photos online so soon post-birth!
You look like a million bucks, not someone who gave birth less than 24 hours ago! I *love* that the boys woke up to have a new baby sister...awesome surprise.
I look forward to hearing many more adventures of your clan :)
Hugs and congratulations!

madgav said...

Congratulations, Leah is beautiful. You look amazing Shannon for just having a baby.

Wendy
mkdsmom

Darby said...

What an awesome story!!! And beautiful new little girl. Congrats!!!

Landerson said...

LOVE her already! Kisses to Leah and love to all of you:0)

Donna M said...

Everyone looks happy and I can't wait to get up there in a few days or so to see the newest little Bertel!

AK Alter Ego said...

alWhat an awesome evening for you!! I love that the boys woke up to a new sister and they look so excited about it.
You look so wonderful and Leah is just perfect and beautiful, looks like she has the same cute little nose as her brothers.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Shannon on your new baby girl! Leah is beautiful just like her older brothers.

lexa said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful little girl and such proud looking big brothers (and Mom, Dad, and Granny, too!). Your mother e-mailed me this morning and said she was born. You're a brave soul to give birth in your home -- I think it's totally cool! Again, hearty congratulations. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Welcome to the world Leah!

Lexie said...

Congrats!!!!!!!! She is soooooooooooo beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Shannon - your daughter is absolutely beautiful - just like her Mom!

You are so blessed to have such a happy and healthy family.

All the best,
JENN

Liz said...

You are off to a GREAT start. Blogging 18 hours after your third child was born. You are my super hero..I am soo happy for you!!! I LOVE miss Leah's name. I can't wait to see what the future holds. Congratulations!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs